For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, January 3, 2016

titivated










I doodled on white silk....then I added applique and hand embroidery, voila, a pocket. The reverse is embroidered, the lining is embroidered. It's finished but it's not finished if that makes sense? It doesn't? Sorry, there's one more thing to add but that's been held up because I need to order a vital component......more of that when it happens.
I love it, I do. It's for France. It's the first finished thing for France and if I get my act together and stop getting my colours mixed up I should have a couple more pieces finished quite soon.
This morning I was surrounded by lace and hankies.....I was drooling......more pockets, online learning......I do believe I am quite organised. The first post is ready for the morning and half of the next post is done too. It's not difficult to motivate yourself when you get to play with lace and hankies all day.
- See more at: http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/#sthash.P2Xq2dSk.dpuf

No comments: